If I had a nickel for how every time I put a heart in a post, I’d have many nickels. I might be equally nickel-rich if applied to frozen chocolate. What can I say? I love love AND chocolate. Truth.
This is that kind of chocolate ice cream that makes you swear there’s coffee in it, but there’s not. It’s also creamy and dreamy and filled with Oreos… I mean Joe-Joe’s.
I’m the type of girl that would never order a blizzard with vanilla ice cream. Never. I want double the chocolate as often as possible. So get ready, world, there’s more chocolate ice cream recipes coming up forever and always!
Chocolate Oreo Blizzard Ice Cream (makes 1 hefty quart)
Recipe adapted from David + Jeni + Joe Joe’s
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 T + 1 t cornstarch
- 1 1/2 oz (3 T) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 t fine sea salt
- 3 T unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 5 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- Oreos or Joe-Joe’s
- Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir together to make a smooth slurry. Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Chop dark chocolate and add to the cream cheese mixture.
- Combine the remaining milk, cocoa powder, cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil for one minute, or until thickened slightly.
- Pour over the cream cheese and chocolate mixture. Whisk until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or until cool throughout.
- Churn according to your ice cream maker’s manufacturer’s instructions. Layer with generous handfuls of crumbled Oreos or Joe-Joe’s Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface and freeze for at least 4 hours. Serve with more cookies!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf.
lunch-break churnin’ // homebrew by a friend
vintage book present // sweet lil pup
26 thoughts on “Dark Chocolate Oreo Blizzard Ice Cream”
This looks so incredible!!! *cookie monster noises* I also wanted to mention the fact that your style of photography and display is sooo cute and unique! Seriously, so different from other styles I’ve seen out there as it has this whimsical and colorful look to it. 😀 Keep up the great work~
Thanks, Ellie! And thanks girl! Such a compliment! <3
It looks so dark and rich and perfect. Growing up in the summer, Blizzards were the end-all-be-all for me 🙂
Right?! Blizzards are where it’s at!
<3 X infinity
chocolate is always a winner 🙂
Can’t go wrong with double the chocolate. 🙂
Double chocolate forever, vanilla never.
Words to live by, girlfren.
Yeeeeees! This sounds soooo freaking good!!
YES! this plan was a good one!
I’m lucky to have your ice cream cream support in my life.
Holy heck yes! Blizzards rule and you rule for making them!
You rule for knowing they rule! <3
Chocolate + Chocolate + Even More Chocolate = best life ever. This looks awesome! Also, one of my bffs used to use her grandmother’s gold flatware at our weekly supper clubs and I always so ritzy and cared for when I used them. I finally scored a set off eBay and I am in luuurve. I love yours with their pretty scalloped tops!
Thanks, Amy! I just have 2 spoons currently, but Cindy gets her gold flatware out for our lady parties! It’s my fave.
this looks INSANE. I want this right now!
You deserve it!
I can barely handle this chocolatey oreoy blizzardy goodness!
Can’t stop, won’t stop! #chocolateerrything
Am going to make this! FYI, steps 2 & 3 repeat themselves.