I’m in love with the color of the cream cheese layer. It’s a purple-y dream! And it’s a double blueberry sitch. Creamy and dreamy Bruegger’s Blueberry cream cheese PLUS fresh blueberries cooked with sugar. Honestly, it’s everything summer would want you to eat for breakfast.
Wanna know how many dishes I dirtied making this? A bunch. But you gotta know this, I’m the type who will dirty 3 knives and a couple spatulas just trying to slice a cute piece. I’m my mom’s grandma. (She used ever dish too. I bet she had a dishwasher tho…)
Elliot, my lovely babe-ly co-workers and I all sampled this. Everyone loved it! I gotta say that Elliot loves it best tho. He keeps leading me to the kitchen to sample it more.
The bottom is nice and cake-y, the middle is creamy and dreamy, the top is crumb-y and with dat little bit of salt, it’s the perf way to start your day. Each slice is basically a square muffin.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffeecake
Inspired by Bruegger’s Blueberry Dream Cheese
Cream Cheese Layer –
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 6.5 oz. container Bruegger’s Greek Blueberry cream cheese
- 1 egg white
- pinch of Kosher salt
- splash of vanilla (1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- pinch of Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 5 T unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- To prepare cream cheese layer: Cook blueberries and sugar together over medium heat until blueberries release juice. Mash and transfer to a bowl. Add cream cheese, egg white, salt and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- To prepare streusel: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter with your pastry blender or fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- To prepare batter: Beat all batter ingredients (except blueberries) in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed. Pour batter into prepared dish. Scatter blueberries on top.
- Top with cream cheese layer, then follow up with the streusel mixture. Bake for 1 hour (check at 50 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake for 15 minutes in pan on wire rack. Slice and serve with coffee.
I was paid by Bruegger’s Bagels to promote their product. But don’t let that make you feel weird. My love for bagels + cream cheese is no joke. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that I get to help me keep doing what I love.
1 thought on “Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake”
Looks yummy! Will try it. Thanks 😀