This cake sliced WAY prettier the next day. No crumb-y bits happened then. Oh, well. Girl needed cake!
And you know what the best part of this cake is?! You get some black and some white in every single bite. It’s what the cookies want to grow up to be, I bet! I need every bite to have some chocolate, that’s for sure.
P.S. Elliot’s main weekend chore is to guard cooking baked goods.
- 1 1/4 cups + 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Black & White icing (recipe below)
- Line the bottom of 2 (6-inch) cake pans with buttered parchment paper. Position rack in the middle of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, mixing well.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until very soft and light. Beat in the vanilla, then beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat in one-third of the flour mixture, then half the buttermilk, stopping and scraping down the bowl and beater after each addition. Beat in another third of the flour, then the remaining buttermilk, stopping and scraping again. Finally, beat in the remaining flour mixture.
- Scrape the bowl well with a large rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake the layers for about 30 to 35 minutes, until they are well risen and firm and a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. Cool the layers in the pans on racks for 5 minutes, then unmold onto racks to finish cooling before icing. Trim the top of each cake layer to flatten. (Save the scraps for a parfait!)
- Ice the bottom layer half white and half black and place the top layer on top.
- Frost the opposite sides of the top layer white and black so in every bite it’s like an even cakey-er black and white cookie.
*This recipe can easily be doubled to make a 9-inch cake!
I wore the same apron in 2009 when I iced this!
Black & White Icing
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 T light corn syrup
- lemon juice from half a lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-4 teaspoons water
- 2 T unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Stir together confectioners sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer half of icing to another bowl and stir in cocoa, adding more water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to thin to same consistency as white icing.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipes above.
Let’s eat (buttermilk) cake!