These shortcakes have me thinking all kinds of things. Like, I definitely need to have a shortcake party. And that there’s a chance I could be open to love with greek yogurt. And where has this deer plate been all my life? I really love it, even though everyone knows bucks are deadbeat dads. Not cool, bucks. Not cool, at all. Now the beginning of Bambie is even sadder, ya know? Jeez.
But let’s refocus. Basically, these little shortcakes are so suitable for breakfast! Maple syrup is in the shortcake and used to sweeten the greek yogurt. So let’s just eat these and feel great about our choice! And let’s be sure to make these when guests are over… they’re hard to stop at one.
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Shortcakes (makes 12 minis)
Biscuit recipe adapted from Super Natural Every Day via Honey & Jam
yogurt shortcakes –
- 1/2 cup + 1 T whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 T all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t kosher salt
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 cup (4 T) unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup + 2 heaping T plain greek yogurt
- 1 T maple syrup
- 3 small apples, peeled, seeded, and sliced thin
- lemon juice
- 4 T brown sugar
- 4 T butter
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 3/4-1 cup greek yogurt + maple syrup to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450F. Place an ungreased baking sheet in the oven to preheat as well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, and baking powder. Sprinkle the butter over the dry ingredients and using a pastry blender or your fingers rub into the flour. Mix until sandy looking and no butter pieces are left that are bigger than a pea. Stir in the greek yogurt, and maple syrup. Pour onto a clean surface knead a few times until dough comes together. Knead a couple more times and then pat until an inch high. Cut in half and stack one on the other, flatten into an inch-high round again. Repeat two more times, flattening, stacking, and cutting. Pat down until 3/4 inch high and cut out rounds using a 2-3 inch biscuit cutter.
- Transfer to warm baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until bottoms are deeply golden and biscuits are baked through.
- Meanwhile make the apple filling. In a skillet, melt the butter and sugar together over medium heat. Cook for a couple minutes until the sugar dissolves. Add the salt, cinnamon and apples to the pan. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until apples are cooked through. Mix greek yogurt with maple syrup until perfectly sweet.
- Assemble shortcakes! Split each shortcake in half and top with apples and yogurt. Place the shortcake top over the filling. Add a bit more yogurt on top and sprinkle with pecans. Enjoy with coffee and a hottie.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf for the recipe above.
Shortcakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
10 thoughts on “Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Shortcakes”
Shortcake party? I’m in!
a shortcake party sounds like the best kind of party!
ps, I love that plate even if it is a bad-parent mug-shot.
Hellz yes! haha Bad-parent mug-shot. Love it.
LOOK AT THAT FLAKEY GOODNESS!
BISCUIT LOVE UNITE!
Those pretty shortcakes and that awesome buck plate just seem to belong together! Nice! I saw a couple of those guys on the side of the road this morning and I’m always like, “What is th…oh, gross/sad.” #MichiganLife
They were born to be BFFs! Like sisters even!
And yeah, that roadkill is unfortunate! Omg. Not cute.
These look freaking incredible. Want to eat.