I’m accomplishing things today! I have a double batch of Light Brioche Burger Buns on the rise for a 4th of July BBQ tomorrow at my best friend in the world’s house and I even made these pancakes for breakfast.
These pancakes are hearty … as in a burley dude would like them. They have both whole wheat flour and corn meal in them and not a speck of white flour. They are so good that you’ll only need a smidgen of maple syrup. These guys are independent ladies that can stand on their own.
Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Pancakes
Recipe from the Gourmet Cookbook via Joy the Baker
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup corn meal
- 1 T sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 ripe banana, diced or mashed
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together yolks, oil and milk in another bowl and add to the flour mixture, whisking until smooth. Let batter stand for 5 minutes to allow flour to absorb liquid (batter will thicken). If batter is too thick to fall easily from a spoon, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons additional milk. Fold in banana and walnuts
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer at moderately high speed until they just hold stiff peaks. With a whisk, gently but thoroughly fold into batter.
- Brush a griddle or 12-inch nonstick skillet with oil and heat over medium high heat until hot, but not smoking. Reduce heat to medium. Working in batches of 3 or 4, spoon 2 tablespoons batter per pancake onto skillet. Cook pancakes until bubbles appear on surface, edges are set and undersides are golden, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Flip pancakes and cook until undersides are golden and pancakes are cooked through. Lower heat if pancakes brown too quickly and insides aren’t set. Transfer pancakes to plate and serve with maple syrup.
5 thoughts on “Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Pancakes”
Making these right now! Can’t believe I have corn meal and walnuts on hand … such luck!
Cool!! I was excited to have just enough walnuts for them. 🙂
I’ve got a week, while the Mister is away, to cook things containing nuts. These look so good, I think I might need to put them on my list of ideas!
You totally should, Dana! And you won’t even have to share!