Yesterday I was craving enchiladas in a real way. But, it’s like a million percent humidity and 90 million degrees here. Luckily I have a window unit AC and frozen cookies to keep my life/hair together. So in order to keep this craving from getting outta control and causing me to be both hot and hungry and possibly eating a corn dog of the questionable variety at a street fair, I decided to grill these.
SO! I grilled up sweet potatoes (making sure to not forget about them like last time when I burnt them to a MF crisp and the potato gods cried). I then chopped them up and added them to the filling, assembled these dreamy bean sleeping bags and put the whole skillet on the grill. So maybe I could cook while camping? Maybe I could camp? If I have a Harry Potter-esque tent with a window unit air conditioner…
BUT! Basically, I really love these. I made just enough for two, but I have filling and tortillas to keep my week lunches ON FLEEK. So make these! Use goat cheese, do whatchoowant with their bodies, but mostly just know these are good and easy and you can make them on a weeknight with a no-big-deal attitude.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into fries
- 3 T olive oil
- 12 flour tortillas (I used spinach ones)
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 4 oz. can green chilies
- 1 can or bottle of enchilada sauce (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese or manchego or or monterey jack
- guacamole and pickled jalapeño, to serve
- Toss sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a hot grill and cook, turning once for about 20 minutes. (Alternately, roast in your oven at 400F for about 40 minutes.) Meanwhile stir together the black beans, chills, and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Once the potatoes are done, chop them and add them to the bean mixture. If grilling your enchiladas, pour a thin coat of sauce on the bottom of a cast iron skillet. Coat tortillas in sauce and fill with bean mixture. Rollup, and place seam-side down in the skillet. Repeat to fill (fits about 4). Pour additional sauce on top and sprinkle with more cheese and some jalapeño, if you want.
- Place skillet on a hot grill for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and hot. OR place in a 350F oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Keep warm in a 200F oven until time to eat. Serve with guacamole and chips, please!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Grill enchiladas! Keep cool inside!
6 thoughts on “Vegan Black Bean, Sweet Potato & Green Chili Enchiladas”
Yum. and try with goat cheese too? black beans or pinto? yes! my Dream would be not just have a personal chef, but a vegan or vegatarian one slaying’it in the kitchen for me all day!
Healthy and delicious recipe .
LOVE the idea to grill enchiladas! I would ever in a million years think to do so. Seriously lusting over these.
HA! Once again, laughing out loud at this post. Do watchoowant with those dreamy bean bags! Luuuurv this. xoxoxoxo
OMG, I could totally become a camper if I could have a Harry Potter tent. And lots of butter beer. And these dreamy bean sleeping bags.
I baked these up last night thinking I would toaster-oven them for lunch at work. When I opened the fridge this morning, I knew I couldn’t last all those hours. I had one of these lovely guys for breakfast and I’m so glad I did! I’m also real glad I’ve got another one for lunch, still 🙂