Last night was taco night, and I think it was the best one yet. Not only did we have homemade corn tortillas but we had these amazing refried beans. AND Jake thought of the best cheese combo for on tacos: shredded extra sharp cheddar tossed with crumbled goat cheese. Whoa. Yeah. Best tacos EVER.
These are super flavorful, simple to make and multitalented. They can be a side dish, filling for a quesadilla, layered on a taco, a dunk-able appetizer and more. Rumor has it they are really good at playing the guitar and knitting, also, but they don’t like to brag.
Please promise me you’ll make these for your next fiesta.
Refried Black Beans
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, including liquid
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/2 t canola or vegetable oil
- pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl mash beans with their liquid, using a potato masher or the back of a large spoon, into a coarse puree.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan or skillet. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add black beans to the pan and stir together mashing with the back of a spoon.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until hot. Season with red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with cilantro.