Sometimes it gets so hot that ice cream is required to live. Elliot’s the same way, but ice cream of the doggie variety. I’ve realized that what I require are granitas.
I used half of a vanilla bean in the whipped cream. I figured whipped cream should have more freckles in the summer, since I do.
What do you think of the color? I’m infatuated. I want to hug every raspberry I see based on the color of this dessert. Would ya’ mind telling the grocery store employees not to bother judging me?
Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 heaping cup fresh raspberries
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t vodka (optional)
- whipped cream*
*Beat 1/2 cup heavy cream + vanilla beans or extract + 1T powdered sugar until fluffy.
- In a medium saucepan heat water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add raspberries and cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat. Stir and break up the raspberries a little.
- Once raspberries are softened, pour the raspberries and liquid mixture into a blender. Pulse and blend until berries are broken down into a puree. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain puree into a bowl or the original pot used. Discard seeds.
- Add lemon juice and vodka (if using) to the fruity mixture. The vodka helps the mixture not freeze so solid, but isn’t entirely necessary.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 rectangular dish and place in the freezer. Set timer for 1 hour. After 1 hour, scrape any ice crystals that have formed toward the center of the dish. Set timer for another hour and again scrape the ice crystals towards the center of the pan. Continue freezing until all of the liquid has formed ice crystals.
- Serve with soft whipped cream and cool down on a hot day, because jeez louize, it’s a scorcher out there.
Give me fresh fruit and a freezer, please. One bite of this and I’ll say “heat shmeat”.