This guy would win in a sandwich battle wrap, that’s for sure. Imagine this rainbow dinner on stage rhyming with Eminem or whoever, ya know? It’d be like, “Yo, I know I’m a sandwich, but don’t disrespect. I’m a dinner worth eating so let’s be direct. I’ve got mad flava’ so get ready to sava’*. I’m no average meal, don’t save me for lata.” And then the other fella or lady would probably just go home and make this sandwich instead of attempting to rap about a wrap back. (I think I might just live too close to 8 mile for my own good.)
Anyhow, this sandwich really is super tasty. And it’s quick, also! Even if you have to make the pesto, it’s all “No biggie, the chicken’s on the grill anyhow.” So do me a solid and get your sandwich on dinner-style. I wouldn’t even be mad if you made some sweet potato fries to go with it. But honestly, this sandwich is a dinner in itself. Chug a beer while cooking, drink one with dinner, and boom-shaka-laka dinner is done.
Pesto Chicken Wrap (serves 4+)
Inspired by the Pulgini at Mudgie’s Deli
chicken + marinade –
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 T olive oil
- juice from 1 large lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
battle wrap –
- 4 T spinach pesto (I make this one.)
- 4 tortillas
- 1/4 cup+ shredded sharp cheddar or asiago
- 4 strips of prosciutto
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato slices
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish or gallon-sized bag. Top with the marinade ingredients. Make sure the chicken is all covered and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat your cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Crisp up the prosciutto in the hot pan. Remove and set aside. Turn your oven on to 250F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Grill chicken on a grill pan or on an outdoor grill if you’ve got one! Cook for 5 minutes, or so, on each side or until cooked through. Remove from grill and cut into strips.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading pesto on each tortilla. Top with strips of chicken, and sprinkle with cheese. Pop onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 7-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with avocado slices and tomato slices. Serve with a beer!
P.S. Ideally there would be artichokes on this too! They add a dreaminess for sure.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Elliot helps me sample cheese while the chicken cooks. So thoughtful!