The word “surprise” is a big deal to me. When I was little, I’d do any chore, wash any windows, endlessly search the house for things my mom couldn’t find, if there was a “surprise” for the reward. Because you see, a surprise could be anything!
It could be a unicorn! …or a puppy even!
Or in these cookies, it’s a peanut butter middle that is a pleasant surprise. Yum! And since the peanut butter is the surprise, it’s even better than your average peanut butter and chocolate treat.
Peanut Butter !!Surprise!! Cookies
Recipe from the dreams of chocolate and peanut butter fans
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 T sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (not organic)
- 1 egg
- 1 T milk
- 1 t vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter, 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and 1/4 cup peanut butter; beat until combined. Add egg, milk and vanilla, beat well. Beat in as much flour as you can with mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Shape dough into 32 balls, each about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Set aside.
- For filling, in medium bowl combine powdered sugar and remaining 1/2 cup of peanut butter. With mixer beat until combined. Shape into 32 balls. (This mixture is crumbly, but will stick together when pressed.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Flatten chocolate dough ball; top with peanut butter ball. Shape flattened dough around the peanut butter ball, completely covering the peanut butter ball; reshape into a ball. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper. Flatten with bottom of glass that’s been moistened water, and dipped in the 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake 8 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute, transfer to cooling racks.