I’m obviously head over heels in love with the chocolate orange combo. I mean, I’ve sconed, brioched, frozen, and now cookied again. Can’t stop won’t stop. These whimsical guys should totally be a part of your holiday baking. And their swirly chocolate outfit makes them the fun cookie. The cookie that never irons its outfit, but makes it seem so cool. Not to mention, these are soft, dreamy, love-worthy cookies. Trust me, ok?
Please note: this recipe was developed as part of my contribution to Go Bold with Butter. Click HERE to view this recipe as well as other great recipes from other bloggers!
Orange Cardamom Cookies + Chocolate Swirls (makes 30 cookies)
Also via Go Bold With Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- zest from one orange
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- scant 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, rub orange zest into sugar until it resembles wet sand. Then, in a large bowl, cream butter and zesty sugar until light and fluffy. Whip in the vanilla, egg, and orange juice. Scrape sides and continue mixing. Stir in cardamom, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour until just combined.
- Pour powdered sugar in a bowl. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball, roll in powdered sugar, and place on prepared baking sheets leaving 2 inches between each ball of dough. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. The bottoms will begin to barely brown and the cookies won’t be shiny in the center anymore. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once all cookies are baked and cooled, melt the chocolate. Microwave it for 20 second intervals until mostly melted. Stir until completely melted. Transfer to a sandwich bag. Snip the corner and pipe swirls over your cooled cookies. Serve!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.