Elliot is a puppy-sized big dog. These are the cupcake of pie.
These were birthday galettes. And since they were a gift, I had to try them to be sure they were good before I gave them away, right? I also had to eat one when I got home from giving them away to be REALLY sure before bed, right? I know something’s good when I have to “make sure” by lots of sampling. Now you know.
Mini Strawberry Rhubarb Galettes (makes 8 mini galettes)
Recipe adapted from: Recipezaar + Farm Journal Complete Pie Cookbook
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 T sugar
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick), cold and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered + chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- heaping 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 T flour ( 1/2 of 1/3)
- pinch of salt
topping (optional) –
- a bit of crumb topping or turbinado sugar
- Make galette dough: mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until it is distributed through the flour, but still in large, pea-sized chunks. Add the ice water all at once and mix just until the dough starts to come together. Gather the dough in your hands, divide in half and shape each half into a disk- don’t worry if you see large streaks of butter- they are supposed to be there. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour before rolling out.
- Cut each disk into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each disk of dough on a lightly floured surface, about 1/8-inch thick. Settle each circle of dough onto a baking sheet or two lined with parchment paper.
- Prepare the strawberry rhubarb filling. Toss the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, flour and salt together. Divide te fruit mixture amongst the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Fold the borders of dough slightly overlapping the filling, allowing it to pleat as you work your way around. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar or some crumb topping, if you want.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbling and the crust is lightly browned.
Those two in the back have a bit of crumb topping. Why not?
2 thoughts on “Mini Strawberry Rhubarb Galettes”
Aww, itty bitty galettes! How cute!
They were cookie size! 🙂