To me, Christmas should be a two-meal day. GIANT breakfast served with mimosas. Cheese, crackers, and charcuterie for snacking all day. … with more champagne, of course. And then a BIG dinner. So, let’s do this, waffle-style. You see, these waffles look pretty festive, yet they’re simple! So let’s impress our Christmas guests brunch-style.
Hope your holiday is everything you want it to be. Full of puppy kisses, twinkly lights, and waffles.
Lemon Poppy Seed Waffles (makes 8)
Adapted from my favorite beer waffles
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t salt
- 4 t baking powder
- 1 1/4 t baking soda
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T poppy seeds
- 5 T unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup beer or club soda
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- zest from 1 large lemon or 2 meyer lemons, reserve juice
blackberry coulis –
- 12-ish ounces fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-3 T sugar, to taste
- juice from half a lemon or 1 meyer lemon
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and poppy seeds.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add milk and beer and heat until mixture is warm. Whisk vanilla and eggs into the warm beer mixture.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Slowly pour wet ingredients into the well, whisking until smooth and barely any lumps remain. Mix in the lemon zest.
- Pour into a pre-heated, lightly greased Belgian waffle maker (a regular waffle iron will work fine as well). Cook until it’s done to your liking.
- Make blackberry coulis by combining all the ingredients in a blender. Pulse until pureed. Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds.
- Serve waffles warm with blackberry coulis and maple syrup.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
The muffin of waffles!
9 thoughts on “Lemon Poppy Seed Waffles”
merry christmas girlie! i can’t wait for my post-christmas days off which will involve many, many waffles and season 1 of girls on blu-ray!
Thanks, Robyn! Merry Christmas back at ya! Oh man, I love Girls too!
You make the best breakfast foods (and the photos are always mouthwatering)! These look bright and fun for a delicious xmas treat – I hope you had a great one!
Thanks, Sydney! So nice! It was a pretty good totally different christmas this year. Hope yours was the best yet!
I just want a stack of 12 of them in my belly right now.
I just wish I could mail you the 4 in my freezer. Best believe!