I guess I just want to make everything into either a s’more or a waffle. So, of course, after Cindy made that dreamy cake involving lemon marshmallow frosting on gingerbread, I was all, “Hell yeah, girl, I want to make the s’mores remix of that!” And so here you go:
My favorite gingerbread cookies with some whole wheat flour up in there for a more graham-esque quality. Along with lemon zesty vanilla bean-y marshmallows. A match made in winter s’mores heaven.
Gingerbread Cookies (makes 46 rounds)
Recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 2 t ground ginger
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
TIP: This dough has to chill in the fridge overnight, so just know that before you start because it’s just the worst to realize that too late.
- Day 1. Make the cookie dough. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Put the butter and sugars in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or use an electric hand mixer) and cream on slow speed until light and fluffy. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat in the egg and molasses, scraping unmixed ingredients with a rubber spatula, as needed.
- Turn the mixer back down to low and slowly add the flour mixture a couple tablespoons at a time, stopping to scrape as you need to. Once an even dough has formed, take it out and divide into 3, and wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Chill overnight in the fridge.
- Day 2. Make cookies. Preheat your oven to 325ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.Take the dough out of the fridge and set on the counter to soften for 10 minutes.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll dough out until it’s about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into squares and arrange on the prepared baking sheets and bake for about 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for a couple minutes before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool. Continue with all the cookie dough.
Cutting them into squares might make more sense, for real.
Lemon Vanilla Bean Marshmallows (Makes 20 + scraps)
Recipe adapted from Chuck Hughes
- 4 t or 2 packets powdered gelatin
- 2/3 and 1/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice + zest from 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean scraped or 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 T confectioners’ sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 T cornstarch
- Lightly spray a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray. Bloom gelatin in 2/3 cup water for 10 minutes. Rub lemon zest into sugar until sandy and evenly distributed. Meanwhile heat the remaining 1/4 cup water, lemon juice and zesty sugar together until it boils. Allow to boil for 1 minute. Add gelatin and stir until mixed. Beat with an electric mixer until lightened in color and voluminous. Mix in the vanilla bean.
- Spread into prepared pan and dust with powdered sugar. Allow to set for several hours before cutting and rolling each piece in a mixture of cornstarch and powdered sugar.
ASSEMBLE: Toast marshmallows and sandwich with dark chocolate between two gingerbread cookies. Enjoy!
Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipes above.
These deer are for my birthday cake.
That deer up top is from a dead terrarium. RIP.