These muffins are low-fat, I guess. But mostly they are necessary. They are necessary when you’re starving and it’s almost 8 and there is no dinner in the oven. Then you’ll need one of these muffins. You won’t be able to fight it. It’s either this or the tortilla chip crumbs that are in the bag on top of the fridge.
What? You don’t eat muffins when you are hungry at 8pm? Why not?
These muffins are really good. I think it has to do with the fact that they are a muffin and I know it has to do with the fact that strawberry jam is darn superb.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t salt
- 2/3 cup vanilla fat-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 T milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup jam (I used strawberry since it’s my most favorite.)
- 1 T sugar + 1/2 t ground cinnamon = cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place 12 paper liners in muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt). In another bowl whisk together the yogurt, butter, milk and egg. (I used greek yogurt because it’s what I had and had to add another tablespoon of milk. So if you use a thick yogurt, you might need to do that too!) Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the yogurt mixture in. Stir just until combined.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup. Top each with a teaspoon of jam. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center of a muffin. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Eat them!
I know. The jam should be in the middle. What was this muffin trying to prove?