Last year my Thanksgiving contribution was to drive a smooshed pumpkin roll six hours to my sister’s house. Not this year though. Because this time tomorrow I’ll be in Minnesota hanging out with my parents. My mom and I will be going over the Thanksgiving dinner menu and Wednesday will consist of cooking and prepping.
I decided to channel my excitement for Thursday by making these delicious s’more’eque pound cakes.
S’mores are on my mind often as the ideal flavor combo for a dessert. I think about that magical menage a tois of graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallow. So here you go! A remix of that childhood favorite. Maybe coming up I’ll make a pie and then brownies expressing s’more love yet again.
Honey Graham Pound Cakes (makes 4 mini loaves)
Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker
- 2 1/4 cups graham flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 3/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 T) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 4 mini loaf pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Whisk the graham flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, whip the butter, sugar and honey at a medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time, beating for about one minute after each addition. Scrape the bowl as needed. Add the dry mixture and buttermilk in three additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Stop the mixer and scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is evenly incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the 4 prepared mini loaf pans. Smooth the top and bake for 25-30 minutes turning half way through baking. Remove from the oven when a thin knife comes out clean when inserted in the center and cake is golden brown.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Now make the frosting!
Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large marshmallows
- 4 T (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- Sift the sugar and cocoa powder together into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place marshmallows, butter and milk in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Stir until the marshmallows are melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and pour over the sugar and cocoa powder mixture. Stir until smooth, satiny and combined.
- Frost the tops of your mostly warm honey graham cakes!
- Slice and eat, chasing with a cool glass of milk.