It was 70 degrees yesterday! I wore a dress with ankle boots and NO tights. This means that summer can happen in a state that won a snow record. A state that had snow multiple feet high for months. Consider this ice cream me raising the roof to summer beccause I want to serve it as a side dish to pulled pork sandwiches and right with some grilled everything.
You see, this is honey ice cream with cornbread mixed in. And I like to serve it with MORE cornbread and MORE honey and a pinch of salt. I can’t wait for you guys to try this. It’s the honey-est, honey. So if you’re like me and you love cornbread so much that you could eat half a pan home alone, then this is for you. Or maybe if you’re into putting honey on your toast, and biscuits, then this is for you. Let’s bring it to a BBQ because, oh man, it’s supposed to be 77 today!
Honey & Cornbread Ice Cream (1 hefty quart)
Adapted from here using Jeni’s ice cream base
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 T + 1 t cornstarch
- 1 1/2 oz. (3 T) cream cheese, softened
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 T cup sugar
- 2 T light corn syrup
- cornbread (recipe below)
- Make ice cream. Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry. In a medium bowl stir together the cream cheese and salt until smooth.
- Combine the remaining milk, cream, honey, sugar, and corn syrup in a 4-quart saucepan. bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heatproof spatula until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture until smooth. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill ice cream base for a few hours or over night.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once fully churned layer in a one-quart container with crumbled corn bread. Top ice cream with plastic wrap and an airtight lid. Freeze for at least 4 hours. Serve with additional corn bread crumbles, honey and sea salt.
Let’s eat this ice cream with pulled pork?
My favorite Super-easy Corn Bread
Recipe from Quaker
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8 or 9 inch pan.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, corn meal, sugar and baking powder).
- Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing until until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until light gold brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and crumble for serving with/churning in ice cream.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipes above.
Churn it up // Upcoming sneak peek
Ganache // Elliot tanning
37 thoughts on “Honey & Cornbread Ice Cream”
GURRLLLLL… No you didn’t put cornbread in your ice cream.. I just love you for this..
You are blowing my mind with this…yes!!
Boom shaka laka!
I have that same cast iron heart pan! I love making cornbread in it, I’ll have to start putting it in my ice cream asap
Hip hip for warmer days and ice cream with cornbread in it! <3
oh man oh man oh man i want allll the cornbread things! and pulled pork sandwiches!!!! yayaayyay summer!
It can’t get here soon enough!
Seriously, perfection. I would maybe eat the whole pan of cornbread. 😉 Now to have a BBQ ASAP.
You and I both, sister.
Your ice cream flavours are always the rest. LOVE this!
I know what I’ll be feasting on all summer long! Looks fab! 🙂
Girl I swear you blindside me with these crazy ice cream everytime!
This is some seriously OMG-worthy shit!
haha yes! <3
Girl, so much respect for your ice cream.
Damn, girl. Thanks!
Completely dyinggg over cornbread in ice cream. With honey! Oh my gosh. This is the best idea!
I am so into those sweet heart-shaped cornbreads. And mixing it with honey ice cream? Hold me!
Just stop it! When are you going to start your own ice cream shop? Cause I swear I would fly all the way from Canada just to come and taste some of your amazing creations!
DANG, girl! You did good!
This ice cream looks so delicious. I have never had cornbread. I absolutely love the idea of it but have never made it and it’s just not eaten here in Aus.
Wow, this ice cream looks incredible. I seriously hardly ever eat ice cream without salt. It’s the best thing ever, am I right?
Pinning these gorgeous photos!
Man, I love cornbread with honey. I’m so intrigued by this ice cream. How can I not try this?
I’m pretty sure this is the ice cream of my dreams.
Yes! The weather is finally nice and I am officially craving ice cream. I need this in my life … with extra cornbread of course.
Hey, I was just looking at this recipe again because I’m going to make it today, but could you clarify how much sugar is meant to be in the ice cream? I think 2 TBSP makes more sense than 2 cups but it’s kind of ambiguous.
Tablespoons! Sorry about the weirdness.