This is an exciting week! You see on Thursday evening I’m heading to San Francisco with two of my favorite people to see my BFF Katie and her husband Mark. I even get to meet Billy! I can’t even wait.
So anyhow, my friend and her boo are going to stay at my place with Elliotto, soo I made this ice cream for them! You see, Kathy appreciates how solid of a snack graham crackers and milk is, so I know she’ll love this ice cream.
This ice cream is the graham cracker-est! Believe it. The milk is infused cereal-milk style with graham cracker crust. And there’s plenty of graham cracker crust mixed in and left over to serve with it. It’s a total dream! AND beware, this could easily transform into a s’mores sundae situation. Simply serve it with toasted marshmallows and milk chocolate hot fudge. Do it, you guys!
Another reason I love this ice cream is because it reminds me of after-school snacking. I used to dunk a big stack of grahams in milk and count so that eventually I’d know exactly how long to dunk them for the perfect softness. Is that weird? Do I take snacking to seriously? Honesty hour.
- 2 cups graham cracker milk (recipe below)
- 1 T + 1 t corn starch
- 1.5 oz cream cheese softened (3 T)
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 T corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- graham cracker crust pieces (1/2 recipe)
- Mix a tablespoon or two of the graham milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl stir together the salt and the cream cheese.
- In a 4 quart saucepan bring the graham milk, heavy cream, corn syrup, and sugar to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly add the corn starch mixture. Return to heat and bring back to a boil for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Pour over the cream cheese mixture and whisk until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers’ directions. Transfer to an airtight container, layering in the graham cracker pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and a tight lid. Freeze for a few hours or over night. Serve as an after school snack.
Graham Cracker Crust
(Please note that 1/2 of this is used for graham cracker milk and 1/2 is to mix into the ice cream!)
- 60 graham cracker squares, or 30 rectangles
- 3 T sugar
- 2 big pinches of kosher salt
- 2 sticks of butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Place the sugar, graham crackers, and salt in your food processor. Process grahams into fine crumbs. Meanwhile melt the butter in a large bowl. Pour graham mixture over butter and stir until all equally moistened. Transfer to one large or two small baking sheets. Pat into a single layer and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Break into pieces. Freeze half of the crust pieces and reserve half for the graham milk.
Graham Cracker Milk (makes 2 cups graham milk)
- 13.5 oz Graham Cracker Crust (1/2 recipe)
- 3 cups whole milk
- Pour milk over graham cracker pieces. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside to steep for one hour. Strain mixture using a fine-mesh strainer or cheese cloth. Rinse out strainer and strain again. Measure out milk. It should be 2 cups, but if it’s just shy add a bit more whole milk until equals 2 cups exactly.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipes above.