The other night I woke up mad from a post-work nap because the pizza dough I took out of the freezer was still frozen. After a hunger-induced breakdown, Jake made me the grilled cheese of my dreams and I was back to my normal wanting-to-make-a-cake self. So here you go! A pretty cake that you probably have all the ingredients for already!
So the middle got stuck to the pan a little bit… soley because I probably had teeny brown sugar clumps that wanted to stay together instead of disperse. You can’t blame them though, right? They’re friends who can’t get enough of each other.
And everyone knows that when you make a cake that has a few teeny imperfections, all it needs is powdered sugar and it’s back to it’s pretty self.
Do you guys see the little troop of vanilla beans in that slice of dreamy brown sugar cake? It’s all because Jake got me vanilla bean paste for christmas and I use it in place of vanilla extract now and then to make things a little bit more tasty.
Brown Sugar Bundt Cake
Recipe from Almost Bourdain + originally from Good Housekeeping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 10 T butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 T vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a Bundt pan and dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda). Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer at a low speed, beat butter and sugars together until blended. Increase speed to medium high and beat until creamy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed back to low; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly into pan. Smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes.
How’re you doing, cake?
I have a silicon bundt pan, and I love it. After baking you can wiggle the middle and pull out the sides to see how the cake is doing.
8 thoughts on “Brown Sugar Bundt Cake”
I think I’m going to try and make this today. I keep saying I’ll work on getting my butt in better shape, but this cakey doo looks like so much more fun. I’ll keep you posted. <3
I know what you mean; Cakes like this are getting in the way of my workouts, but it’s just so darn delcious!
I hope you love it!
But what would life be like without cake? I don’t even want to imagine!
I’m a fan of silicon bakeware too!
A cakeless world would be a sad world indeed. 🙂
Made this last Friday night so we could have something so eat for the week-end. Thought about putting heath bits into it, but knew my husband would not eat it then. Was very moist and tasted great. Good to see you again Megabite!I also had trouble getting it out of my bunt pan what’s up with those bunt pans anyway!!
Heath bits sound good to me!
Don’t you just hate it when bundt pans are bullies?! It’s just not very nice. I’m not sure what the deal is.
I’m glad you liked it though!
It was good to see you too!
Cake looks yummy! I never heard of vanilla bean paste. I need to look around for that.
Thanks! I totally recommend it. It’s amazing!
Here’s a link for the brand of vanilla bean paste I had! I’ve since run out, but I plan on getting more this week.