If I had to choose two songs, as the best songs, for singing in the car, I’d pick: Since You’ve Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson + Screaming Infidelities by Dashboard Confessional.
Don’t bother judging me, ok? These are not my two most favorite songs in the whole world, or favorite artists even. But these songs are really good for singing from your heart alone in your car.
If had to tell you a few foods I consider to be best friends I’d say chocolate and peanut butter (duh), corn bread and honey, black beans and sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are my best friend in this stew also.
Guess what!? This is a quick dinner! I got home from work at 6 and this was done a little after 7. Perfect for the friend date that was happening. I hope you guys make this this week. It’ll make getting your car stuck in the snow a little less awful, I promise.
Black Bean + Sweet Potato Stew
Recipe adapted from ReadyMade
- 1 T canola oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled + chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly diced
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno, diced (more or less depending on the spice level ya’ want)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 c frozen corn
- juice from 1 lime
- goat cheese, to serve
- Heat canola oil in a large, heavy-bottom stock pot over medium high heat. Add sweet potatoes, onion, red pepper, jalapeno and garlic, stirring to coat. Saute until onion and peppers are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add spices and stir well. Reduce heat to medium, cover pot, and allow sweet potatoes to soften, about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When sweet potatoes are fork tender, add broth, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to incorporate all of the goodness. Add frozen corn, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Before serving, stir in lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a little bit of crumbed goat cheese on top and corn bread for dunking.
Another black bean + sweet potato recipe is right HERE.