Consider these the hip cousin of the petit four.
Or just consider it tasty, and slice it into big pieces instead.
Laura over at Rather Be Baking knows what’s up. I believed her when she said to trust her on this cake. She’s totally right; it’s the best.
This is just the perfect weeknight cake. It comes together quickly, in one bowl and bakes up in only 30 minutes. Chances are you’ll want to keep eating slivers of this cake as you walk by. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/8 t cloves
- 1/8 t ginger
- cinnamon frosting (optional), recipe follows
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Beat all of the ingredients together for 3 minutes.
- Pour in prepared dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing into bite size pieces.
- Top with a smidgen of cinnamon frosting, if you’re feelin’ it.
- 3 T butter, softened
- generous sprinkling of cinnamon
- 1 heaping cup powdered sugar
- 1 T milk
- Beat all of the ingredients together and pipe a teeny flour on each cake bite.
And here’s Elliot, looking like such a gentleman.
I bet you wouldn’t even believe that he stole some cake off the table like a jerk.
So there you go! Both Jake AND Elliot love this cake.