My mom made all the time when I was growing up. I love the memories as much as I love the cinnamon-sugary goodness.
Jake likes this coffee cake because he says it taste like a donut. Basically, if you like happy breakfast memories, cinnamon-sugar, and donuts, you’ll la la love this.
P.S. I just want you guys to know that this is one of the best coffee cakes in the whole world. And that’s why I decorated it flag-style. That, and the fact that now I can say that this is a bundt with a bunting. Ha!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Recipe from my homegurl, Betty Crocker
cinnamon filling –
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
coffee cake –
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 t vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1-2 t milk
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a bundt pan with generously with cooking spray. Make cinnamon filling by whisking together brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts if using.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat the granulated sugar, butter, 1 1/2 t vanilla and eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour mixture alternately with sour cream on low speed.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 2 cups) in prepared bundt pan; sprinkle with 1/3 of the cinnamon filling (about 1/3 cup). Repeat twice (or repeat just once more if you’re like me).
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer inserted near the enter comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting onto a cake plate.
- Make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar 1/4 t vanilla and milk until it’s thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over the entire coffee cake and serve
I knew I bought these eggs for a reason!
22 thoughts on “Sour Cream Coffee Cake”
I can ALMOST smell this…one of my true favorites!!
Mine too, thanks to you! <3
Okay, I love absolutely everything about this! The gorgeous glazed color of the cake, the happy little egg carton message and, of course, those flags! Bunting makes everything better 🙂
Thanks Beckie!! This coffee cake is my favorite. 🙂
My goodness, I want a bite!
Yum! My Aunt Bea used to make this for St.Pierre Christmas every year. But she called it Merk’s coffee cake. Fun & delicious memories.
Marjorie Rose – I wish I could give you a piece!
Kerri – I’m glad you have tasty breakfast memories around this coffee cake too! <3
The cake looks yum and I love the bunting but you may want to add an “s” in direction 2 🙂
Thanks Sian, and good catch! haha Of all the words, right? 🙂
I love the bundt cake with bunting. (I’m a sucker for puns.) And you just can’t beat Betty Crocker for a good coffee cake. Looks delish!
If you’re a banner fan, check out my friend Kathy’s etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KathyPhantastic?ga_search_query=Kathy+Phan&ga_search_type=seller_usernames
Thanks Shelley! You’re so right. Betty is one hip lady. And thanks for showing me that snazzy etsy store.
I know this recipe! It’s such an awesome cake!
Yes! Everyone needs to know this recipe! It’s too tasty to miss.
a bundt w/ a bunting…ahahahah!!
i love bundts and cinnamon-sugar. and donuts.
OOH Cindy, you’d love this!
Mmm, a coffeecake that’s just like a doughnut? You’ve got my full attention. It sounds super yummy. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html
What a magnificent looking cake! Must be super moist with the sour cream. Yum!
Thanks! And yeah, it stays super tasty for days. 🙂
any chance some kind of stout could used in this for a coffe stout cake e.g. southern tier mokah or javah or mikeller beer eek brunch weasel edition?
Hmmm… I don’t know. That’d be awesome though. If you’re looking for a coffee-cake type cake with beer in it this one is a good one:
Gorgeous cake! Love those banners and I know it must taste like pure cinnamony awesomeness.
PS. your the Pixies reference = the peak of my day.