Root beer and chocolate go together like Tegan and Sara and Romy and Michele.
Here’s the part where my mom stirred the cocoa powder mixture and it bubbled and popped because of the root beer. It was pretty and poppy. Can you believe those bubbles are really real?
Instead of folding your laundry, fold these ingredients. Because I bet you’ll get way more satisfaction out of this cake than clean laundry… not to say you should wear dirty everything, that’d be weird.
See that little fluff ball? That’s my mom’s dog Lucy, or Lucille, as Jake calls her. She likes laying on pillows, growling at Elliot and sneaking kisses up noses. Evidently she likes the looks of that cake too.
This cake is dense and super chocolatey. It’s so good that I crave it, for real. I can’t get enough of of it. It’s dangerous and amazing all at once.
- 2 cups root beer
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 2 large eggs
- chocolate shavings for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray the inside of a 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a small saucepan, heat the root beer, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs until just beaten. Then whisk into the cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the cocoa mixture into the flour mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Give it a quick whisk, but don’t over beat the batter or it could cause the cake to be tough.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, rotating the cake halfway through baking until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely then loosen the edges with a butter knife and turn out onto a cake plate.
This is how cake looks when it’s on a fall plate accessorized with ice cream.
Chocolate Root Beer Frosting
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 cup root beer
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric hand mixer, beat softened butter and cocoa powder. Once combined add the melted chocolate, salt, powdered sugar and root beer. Beat together until smooth. Spread on top of cooled cake. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Hip fall dishes at my Aunt Nita’s house. She’s the coolest lady I know.