I feel weird about singing in my car and casually looking over and seeing someone I know. It cramps my car-singing style. I feel weird about the fact that my chair at work is creaky since I’m incapable of sitting still. I can’t do it. I feel weird about my new bangs. They aren’t a big deal. I really shouldn’t care, but Jake says that things like bangs matter, so it’s ok to be complete girl about it. I feel weird about the fact that my favorite jeans’ zipper stopped staying up. A safety pin is helping my jeans keep it real. I feel kinda weird I told you that.
I kinda feel weird about food coloring. That’s why my red velvet whoopie pies aren’t super dark. I couldn’t bring myself to add more than a teaspoon of the hand staining stuff. But my Christmas spirit made these cookies possible, and I’m really glad it did, since they are tasty and filled with holiday cheer and cream cheese frosting.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling
Recipe adapted from Dinner and Dessert
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 8 T butter ( 1 stick), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 t red food coloring
cream cheese filling-
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 T (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 t vanilla
- sprinkles to match the holiday or your mood
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium high speed for 30 seconds, until smooth. Add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. While mixing at a medium speed, add egg and beat until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla and red food coloring and mix until rosy and combined.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture in batches. Beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mixing after each addition.
- Using a cookie scoop or a teaspoon, spoon the dough on prepared baking sheets about an inch apart. Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until tops are set. Cool on wire rack.
- Make cream cheese filling. In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread onto the flat side of the cookie and top with another cookie. Roll in christmas sprinkles! Store in an airtight container.
Frost them like you mean it.
1 thought on “Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling”
I will definitely have to make these. so festive!!