Last Thursday Elliot’s vet called and asked me to make cake and ice cream for her daughter’s 10th birthday. She wanted Dark Chocolate Oreo Blizzard Ice Cream and Vanilla Bean Cake with Vanilla Bean Whipped Buttercream. I wanted to keep the cake simple, but make a fancy fun cake topper, so this is what I made! While the cake layers cooled and the ice cream churned, I cut out triangles and fringe and floral wired it to some striped straws. I wanted it to look like a mini party! And I think it worked out!
Rumor has it Livia liked it. Whew! That was the most important part!
DIY Paper Bunting Cake Topper
- colored card stock or construction paper
- mini hole punch
- 2 Susty Party paper straws or skewers
- washi tape (optional)
- floral wire
- Cut out small triangles or fringe flags out of paper.
- Punch holes on each side of every flag. String floral wire through the holes and wrap excess wire around each straw or skewer. Repeat with 3 or more strings of flags in varying colors.
- Use washi tape to cover the wire. Top your cake!*
*I found it easiest to insert toothpicks into each side of the cake where you want the topper to be. Insert the toothpicks in the end of each straw and press the straws slightly into the cake. You can also cut out letters and glue them to toothpicks to spell out your favorite person’s name!