Saturday night I had brussel sprouts for dinner. Sunday morning I had these guys. A breakfast fit for Marie Antoinette. If only I would’ve paired pink champagne with this stack of heaven. So there you go! I’m on the vegetable and pancake diet.
I’ve wanted to make ricotta pancakes since I had some dreamy ones at Five Leaves in New York. I guess I should be adding ricotta to every pancake I eat from now on! I’d kinda be a fool not to.
Orange Ricotta Pancakes (makes 12+ small pancakes)
Recipe adapted from Chow
- 5 T unsalted butter + more for coating the griddle
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t kosher salt, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 T granulated sugar, divided
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- powdered sugar and maple syrup, for serving
- Place butter and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until butter’s melted. Remove from heat to cool a bit.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and 1/2 t salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, 1 T sugar (I did 2 on accident, and it didn’t ruin anything.), orange zest, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add a quarter of the warm milk mixture. Whisking to combine. Slowly pour the rest of the warm milk while whisking. Mix until smooth. Fold in the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Add a tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 t salt. Continue beating to soft peaks. Fold into the batter. Gently fold in the ricotta. Don’t try to mix it perfectly. It’s ok if there are ricotta streaks.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick frying pan over medium heat until warm. Sprinkle with water. When the water sizzles it’s ready! Lightly coat with butter. Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup to scoop the batter on the pan. Flip when bubbles are formed on the top. Continue until all pancakes are cooked. Keep them warm on a baking sheet in a 200F oven.
- Serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
In other news, I found these polka dotted pants at Target! Hell yeah!
21 thoughts on “Orange Ricotta Pancakes”
polka dotted pants, handsome pups, brussels, and ricotta pancakes FOREVER! I need to go on that diet, for realz.
Girl can’t help it!
Five Leaves may very well be my favorite little restaurant. I LOVE their flash fried oysters (the only way I’ll eat the little shuckers) and the beet ravioli. To.Die.For.
Oh! I’ll have to try them next time I’m in town. I can’t eat oysters just straight-up either. :/
The vegetable and pancake diet? Now that’s a diet I could get behind. I love Brussels sprouts; they are a very underutilized vegetable. Of course, I also love pancakes, especially when they’re as light and fluffy and perfectly cooked as yours!
Yeah girl! And thanks!
I can’t decide whether I like the pancakes or the pants better!
HELL YEAH POLKA DOTS AND HELL YEAH PANCAKES!
Hell yeah YOU! <3!
Let’s talk about Eliot’s classy classy leash as well! Yes to puppies and pancakes and printed pants!
Yeah man! All good things!
Seriously those pancakes look amazing. Will be pinning this to make for the littlies (er ok me really) this weekend. thanks.
Yay! Happy pancaking!
Those look almost ethereal in their lightness. Perfect for a brunch!
So fluffy!! I am making these tomorrow for boyfriend’s day off!
Hey, just wanted to let you know you left out the baking powder in the list of ingredients. Step 2 says whisk the baking powder with the other ingredients, but it’s not listed. Otherwise, this recipe looks great and I’m in the process of making it right now.
Ah! Sorry about that Jamie. It’s 1 1/2 teaspoons. And I added it now. Thanks for letting me know.
<3! Hope you love these.
We LOVE ricotta pancakes…well, I love MOST pancakes..my fav pancake place TOOK OFF the Whole wheat ones I love..boo! I will have to make these..soooooon!
Megan, these look like heaven! And the perfect way to usher in a long, lazy weekend. I am slowly but surely becoming a pancakes fan. As a life long waffles-only gal, that is saying a lot. Can’t wait to try these!