Sometimes cookies are all you need. Especially when you walk to your car in the parking structure only to find it with a flat tire. It’s at moments like that, that you call the handsome bearded man in your life for a ride home and promptly make mini black and white cookies. The combo of these little cakey delights and all that christmas spirit I know you’ve got, is just the thing to make you unconcerned about that flat tire. If only I could channel christmas spirit into that tire. Then it would stop being flat AND be a festive color, I bet.
This recipe is originally designed to make 8 large marge cookies! So, if you want to do that, it’s still totally possible. Just use 1/4 cup of dough per cookie and bake for 15 to 17 minutes instead of the perfect 7 minutes for these minis.
Mini Black and White Cookies
Recipe from epicurious
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1/3 cup (5 1/3 T) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 T light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 t lemon juice
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1 to 2 T water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Make cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Stir together buttermilk and vanilla in a cup.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes, then add egg, beating until combined well. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately in batches at low speed (scraping down the side of bowl occasionally), beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Scoop teaspoons of batter about 2 inches apart onto a buttered baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the middle of the oven until tops are puffed and pale golden and cookies spring back when touched. About 7 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack that’s lined with parchment paper. I’ve found that otherwise the criss cross shape of the cooling rack will leave a mark on the cookies, making the frosting less than perfect.
- Make icings why cookies chill. Stir together confectioners sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer half the icing to another bowl and stir in cocoa, adding more water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to thin to the same consistency of white icing.
- Turn cookies flat side up, then spread white icing over half of each chocolate over the other half. Makes about 33 cookies.
Everyone loves these cookies because they’re Heaven.
1 thought on “Mini Black and White Cookies”