This morning I made pancakes. I put nutella and malt powder in them. They tasted like heaven, but only two ended up pretty and I ate them.
But the problem is that when I flipped them only half flipped, and they just stuck to the pan a lot and then I burnt one.
Jake blamed the nutella. I blamed my impatience and the pan for being the fakest nonstick pan ever. (Dishes shmishes.)
Don’t worry, Jake and I ate the scraps while standing in the kitchen near the dishes, in front of the coffee maker.
Pancakes can be delicious even when they are disasters. Even when the end result is not a super-model. Even when the pancakes cling to the pan like it’s the Kate to their Leo.
Nutella Malted Pancakes
Recipe adapted from here and Cindy’s use of malt powder in pancakes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1 T sugar
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 cup nutella
- 1/2 cup malt powder
- bananas + real maple syrup for serving
* OR place one tablespoon of lemon juice/white vinegar in the bottom of a 1-cup measuring cup and top with milk. Set aside until time to use.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven, and heat the oven to 200°F. In a medium bowl, beat egg with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth.
- Heat skillet over medium heat until a few drops of water sizzle. Spray skillet with cooking spray as you need it.
- For each pancake pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto the hot skillet top with banana slices and cook until bubbly on top and puffed and dry around the edges. Flip and cook until the other side is golden brown. Place the pancakes in the oven to keep warm until all done. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
6 thoughts on “Malted Nutella Pancakes :: Ugly Tasty”
I’ve had my fair share of failures too.. The photo of the cooking pancakes still looks great!
sometimes pancake breakfast is just ugly, but tasty. it totes happens. these sound amazing though…I love nutella and bananas, so how could they be un-tasty? and, way to be with the malt!
Yeah man. Malt is where it’s at! Thanks guuurl.
So… I found you via Tracy and Joy’s podcast [more specifically, the show notes when they featured all the persons who posted their “five favorite things”]… and I’m so glad I did! It’s a pretty slow day at work, so I’ve been browsing through your pretty blog. Normally I don’t comment [lurker?], but after I saw that you too have read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society [one of my all time favorite books!] I just had to give some comment-love. Thanks for brightening my day with your blog! I already have a few recipes pinned that I’m looking forward to making 🙂
Thanks Amanda! I just looooved that book too. It made me so happy!
I’m glad you found me AND that you commented! <3