These cookies were meant to be. I had exactly one stick of butter plus six tablespoons and I had sugar cookies on my mind. It was a butter miracle.
So, I guess now I need to buy more butter.
I’m in love with these vintage Valentine cookie cutters. They cut out cookies like it’s the 60’s, like Betty Draper, like they mean it.
Rumor has it these cookies taste as if a Keebler elf helped me make them. If that’s a selling point, you should totally make them.
P.S. Have I mentioned how much I love chalkboard paint?
Hummingbird Bakery Sugar Cookies
Recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
- 1 stick + 6 T unsalted butter, at room temperature (14T total)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 t cream of tartar
- melted chocolate or royal icing for topping
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well, scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the flour, salt and cream of tartar and mix well, but don’t over mix. It’ll go from crumbs to large clumps.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and press the dough together and roll out. Cut out shapes with your favorite cookie cutters.
- Place on the prepared baking sheets and bake for about 10 minutes, checking regularly to make sure they aren’t burning. They are done when they are very light golden on the outer edges and paler in the enter. Remove from the wire rack and cool completely. Decorate with melted chocolate and a toothpick or with royal icing.
This is my Valentine’s Day bracelet combo. They jingle + jangle + bangle.
13 thoughts on “Hummingbird Bakery’s Sugar Cookies”
Oh my gosh those are so cute. Where did you get the cookie cutters???
I got the cookie cutters + the pink and white bracelets from Oddfellows in Berkley. They have SO many treasures!
This makes me want to shake my fist and yell, “ARRRG! SO! MUCH! CUTE!” You’re so super talented with these gosh darn baked goods, Megan! I love ’em.
Yes! I was going for a fist shaking reaction! 🙂
Perfect! Off to make these right now.
Awesome! I hope you love them as much as I do. 🙂
Love these!! I love cookie cutters too…AND even the Hummingbird bakery cookbook. I am using it to make Dad the peach cupcakes for Valentines day..love YOU!
Megan, I made a double batch of these and brought most of them to a ladies meeting the next day. I also brought the melted chocolate for them to spread on, and later take a plate home for their family. Since our theme was on the heart, this was a neat way to end the meeting. (And this way I didn’t have to FROST all of them!)
Cool, Lois! I’m so glad they were a hit. 🙂
Those are some pretty epic cookie cutter/stencils. I’m a little jealous 😛
Thanks Dana! I was so excited to find those guys.
super cute! i love stamped cookies…and chalk board paint!
Yeah, I totally need more stamp cookie-cutters in my life. 🙂