For Jake’s birthday, I also made him this chocolate salami. You see, since last year he’s been making sausage at home! He’s made garlic wine, chorizo, andouille, spicy Italian and more.
So I figured I’d make him a dessert salami. (Why not, right?) When I walked in and held it up saying, “Look what I made you!” I’m pretty sure he thought I made a sausage somehow. It’s a chocolate prank!
One thing that’s cool about this is that you can add any mix-ins you want, I bet pretzels would be good and pistachios would be really pretty. Or maybe marshmallows? It’s willy-nilly. You can do what you want.
You could even slice it and make ice cream sandwiches! I sure wouldn’t stop you. Follow your heart.
So this is a funny thing to make as a prank or a super-fun treat for someone who loves sausages or any cured meaty goodness. But mostly it tastes goo-ood.
Recipe adapted from Organic & Chic
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup roughly smashed graham crackers
- powdered sugar for rolling
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, melting them together. Remove from heat as soon as the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir in the condensed milk, graham cracker pieces, and 1/2 cup of the almonds. Stir until combined. Pour onto a piece of plastic wrap and using the plastic form into a salami. Press the remaining 1/4 cup of almonds onto the outside. Chill until firm, at least an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and roll through powdered sugar, coating the whole thing. Slice and serve!