Please Note: I’ve made these again! Click HERE for the new post.
When I was little, my mom would occasionally make waffles for dinner with ice cream in between. Once or twice we even had strawberry shortcake for dinner! As an adult, I had chocolate chip waffles for dinner once or twice… and something about these scones make me think of chocolate chip pancakes!
So there you go. They’re good. I like them. You should eat them for dinner.
Chocolate Chip Scones
Recipe adapted form Orangette
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 3 T sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips*
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Beat together the milk and egg and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Rub butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or your hands. Working until you have no lumps bigger than a pea. Add the sugar and chocolate chips. Stir or toss to mix. ( I used half mini chips and it was amazing!) Take scant 1/4 cup of the milk/egg mixture and set aside to be used for a glaze. Whisk the vanilla into the remaining milk/egg mixture and add to the dry ingredients. Bring dough together gently with a wooden spoon.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it no more than 12 times. (12 is the magic number, so exceed at your own risk!) Pat dough into a round approximately 1/2 inch thick, and cut into 8-12 wedges. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, glaze wedges.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a rack.
*And, if you can even believe it, the variations for these scones are endless! If you use fruit, it’s advised to use either dried or frozen. While you’re at it, drizzle icing on top!
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Chip Scones”