This weekend I went to see Moonrise Kingdom (finally!). I loved the romance and the peter pan collars. During the days I spent a lot of time in the yard with Elliot. My outfit matched the picnic table. I painted my nails the color of blueberries while watching crime shows on Netflix. And I totally sprinkled the berries that now matched my nails on this cake. What did you guys do?
The truth is that this could be called “Anybody Bait”, but that just doesn’t flow. Believe it.
So make this for your boo! Make it for your very best friend. Roll berries across your apartment for your pup. Eat this for breakfast. Eat it in the afternoon with coffee. It’s truly delicious.
- 2 cups + 1 t all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, or unthawed frozen ones
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or unthawed frozen ones
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Whisk 2 cups of flour together with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on medium high until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time until evenly distributed. Turn the speed down to medium and mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture until incorporated, beat in half of the milk. Beat in half of the remaining flour mixture, remaining milk, and finally remaining flour. Toss berries with remaining teaspoon of flour. Using a rubber spatula, fold berries into the batter. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- For the topping, scatter blueberries over the batter. Stir cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle over batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool in pan for 20 minutes, cut into squares and serve.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Elliot likes to chase down blueberries. He just love them!